Chelsea was handed a transfer ban by FIFA over a week ago, and as a result, the club appealed. Furthermore, the ban won't be enforced until FIFA review the case, meaning that Chelsea will have this Summer to sign players.
A target for Sarri in the Summer could be getting a new striker, with Higuain's move being only a loan, and Giroud coming towards the end of his contract. With Giroud and Higuain not being certain to be at Chelsea next year- there is a possibility that Chelsea could sign/recall two strikers in the Summer.
Chelsea is in danger of missing out on a few strikers. Timo Werner has apparently agreed to a deal with Bayern Munich according to SPORTBild in Germany. Jovic has been linked to Manchester City, and apparently, in Italy, there are rumours going around that Icardi has agreed to a deal with Juventus.
So with all that in mind- I look at the 6 strikers that Chelsea could sign/recall in the Summer;
- Higuain (Permanent)
(Photo Credit- GiveMeSport)
- Since joining Chelsea in January- Higuain has scored 4 goals for the club. And each week- he's showing signs of getting back to his best. Higuain has been vital to Sarri's system, and the Italian really rates El Pipita. So he would want this signing to be made permanent in the Summer.
- Likeliness out of 10 of happening- 8- If Higuain makes a decent account of himself for the remainder of his loan, then I see no reason why Marina Granovskaia will not sanction a permanent deal for him. The only problem is that Chelsea have a strict policy on signing 30+ year olds. So that could be the only problem with this deal going through once the loan has ended.
2. Cavani (PSG)
(Photo Credit- The Independent)
- Before signing Higuain, Chelsea were heavily linked with making a move for Cavani, but he decided to stay at PSG. Chelsea have always had an interest on Cavani since his Napoli days, but up to date, have failed to sign him. Cavani is PSG's leading goalscorer in their history, and is regarded as a world class striker- which is hard to disagree with.
- Likeliness of happening out of 10- 4- I think the ship has sailed with Cavani. He is over 30 and that would put Chelsea off pursuing any deal for the Striker in my opinion. Also, there have been reports that the Uruguayan is holding out for a move to China, so that makes a deal even more unlikely to happen with Chelsea in the Summer.
3. Insigne (Napoli)
(Photo Credit- The Independent)
- Lorenzo Insigne has always been admired by Sarri. The Italian Makeshift striker has 8 goals so far in Serie A this season under Ancelotti. There is no doubting that Insigne is a quality player, and he reminds me a little bit of Hazard.
- Likeliness of happening out of 10- 6- I think Sarri will show an interest in the Italian in the Summer, however, Chelsea reportedly have a transfer pact with Napoli after the signings of Sarri and Jorginho. So any deal will be complicated by that. Also, De Laurentis is not an easy person to deal with, and he will dig his heels in to prevent Insigne from leaving. But at the age of 27- his under 30 which Chelsea will like, and he is still in his prime years. So there is a chance that it could happen, but the transfer pact between Napoli and Chelsea could scupper any deal.
4. Mertens (Napoli)
(Photo Credit- GOAL.Com)
- Dries Mertens was linked to Chelsea in the Summer, before the club went for Higuain. In terms of his stats this season- he has very similar stats to his counterpart at Napoli- Insigne. In 24 games in Serie A so far this season, the Belgium forward has only scored 8 goals so far this season.
- Likeliness of happening out of 10- 5- Same as Insigne really. In terms of the fact that Chelsea would have problems dealing with Napoli. What makes this signing more unlikely than Insigne signing for Chelsea is that the Blues have a strict policy of signing over 30 year olds. However, Chelsea may try and sign Mertens to try and convince Hazard to stay and sign a new contract, as they are Belgium teammates and friends off the pitch.
5. Morata (recalling from loan - Atletico Madrid)
(Photo Credit- AS English- Diario AS)
(Photo Credit- Daily Express)
- Morata left Chelsea in the January transfer window, as he joined Atletico Madrid on loan. And since leaving Chelsea, Morata has discovered his form at the Spanish club. He has played 5 games in La Liga so far, and has scored 3 goals which is a good return.
- Likeliness of happening out of 10-5- I see Chelsea trying to cash in on him in when his loan ends, as it just hasn't worked out for him in the Premier League. And if he continues to impress Atletico, then they will want to try and make his move permanent. The only way that I can see him returning to Chelsea is if the Blues fail to sign a striker in the Summer.
6. Abraham (recalling from loan - Aston Villa)
(Photo Credit- Daily Star)
(Photo Credit- 90 Min)
- Tammy Abraham has been part of Chelsea's loan army for a long time now. But at his current loan at Aston Villa- he is smashing it up in the Championship. In 29 matches that he has played in the Championship so far this season, Abraham has an impressive goal return of 21 goals for Villa. He is the top scorer in the Championship.
- Likeliness out of 10 of happening- 7- I think with the transfer ban impeding on the club, Chelsea will have to start thinking more long term now, and Abraham is definitely a striker in the long term for Chelsea. The only question is- will Chelsea recall him in the Summer, or will they send him back out on loan?
6. Maxi Gomez (Celta Vigo)
- Maxi Gomez has been attracting alot of interest from clubs across Europe. It did look like he would be off to West-Ham in January, but that deal didn't happen. However, it looks like West Ham could sign him in the Summer. But there have been reports that teams like Liverpool and Tottenham are interested in securing the services of the Uruguayan striker in the Summer. However, the most recent news today from Calciomercato is that Chelsea are also interested in signing the Celta Vigo striker in the Summer.
- Likeline out of 10 of happening- 4- I think the deal with West-Ham is too advanced now. I also think that Chelsea have other strikers in mind. However at the young age of 22- this could be an ideal signing for Chelsea in the long-term if they were to pursue this deal in the Summer.
Comment down below, which of the seven strikers do you think Chelsea will sign/recall in the Summer?
By Danyal Khan